The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - Review



I have had this book on my shelf for quite a few years now, I finally picked it up this past week and read it.

I don't know why but I built up high hopes for this book, maybe it was the cover, maybe it was the short bit of information on the back:

THE CIRCUS ARRIVES
WITHOUT WARNING

NO ANNOUNCEMENTS
PRECEDE IT...

IT IS SIMPLY THERE, WHEN
YESTERDAY IT WAS NOT

That bit of information had me wanting to read it straight away, but, I felt a bit let down when I read it.

It started good and interesting, the characters were good at first, the timeline of the book was easy to follow at first too but then it just started to go a bit all over the place. 

The characters didn't really have a background, they just are.. a bit like the circus, all of a sudden they're just there with no real explanation as to where they come from. 

The timeline of the book got a bit confusing too. One chapter started in one year, the next chapter skipped to the following year and then went back to the previous year. I found myself going back through the chapters trying to fathom out what was happening.


Saying that though, I thought Erin Morgenstern's writing was very good and I enjoyed her style of writing. 

One thing that's said often in the book is 'Nothing is impossible,' which you really see in this book, anything is possible. Some of the circus scenes paints exciting images in your head and you really feel the magic of the book coming from the circus.

My main problem is the characters, I didn't think anyone really had a connection or cared for each other, they didn't have enough depth. If the characters would have had the attention the circus had when it comes to description, I think I would have enjoyed it more. 

I did enjoy this book though and I am glad I have read it, but for me I only want to rate it 3 stars.


(I felt like The Greatest Showman soundtrack went will with this book!)


















Comments